Old December 5th 17, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham C

Default microwave oven power consumption

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 15:01:50 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 22/11/2017 09:10, Brian Gaff wrote:

Sadly since they work on all or nothing principals its hard to judge as the
only power control they have is on and off cycles. Magnetrons are not very
easy to adjust the power of.

I thought the inverter ones could adjust the power. My micros don't
cycle on/off anyway.

Bill

Watching my Panasonic cook porridge suggests the inverter doesn't do
what one would expect. On 'Simmer' the porridge bowl goes round and
round and suddenly after say 20 secs, the contents threaten to climb
out of the bowl for a few seconds before settling back down again.,
then repeating after another 20 seconds. More like duty cycling to me!

Then it has 'Chaos Defrost' mode. I put a frozen steak in and set the
'type' and 'weight'parameters correctly. It started a ten-minute
defrost cycle. Alarmed at what I saw through the door after just a
minute I stopped it and noticed the steak was quite hot -well on the
way to being properly cooked. So that's on the way to being done in
just one minute with nine minutes of 'defrost;' left. I don' think so.

FWIW this microwave has been repaired twice within the warranty
period.

Panasonic ! Oh dear.what are you doing,

GrahamC

---