Old December 3rd 17, 11:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default BBC Scotland - scope for confusion?

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 10:52:47 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
I see that - subject to Ofcom consent - there is to be new BBC
Scotland television channel. As far as I can see, it will be SD
only
and will take the position of BBC Four (channel 9 on Freeview).
All
the opt-outs on BBC Two will transfer to the new channel so in
effect
BBC Two Scotland will end, to be replaced by BBC Two England. BBC
Two
SD and BBC Two HD will be the same.

1. Will having a BBC One Scotland and a BBC Scotland cause
confusion?
Will BBC One get a new name, maybe 'BBC One in Scotland'?.

2. 'BBC Scotland' will now have two meanings - the (trading) name
of
the broadcaster and the name of a TV channel.

3. Does this mean the eventual loss of BBC Four HD when COM7
closes
and the HD channels are consolidated into one multiplex, ie will
there
be pressure to include BBC Scotland rather than BBC Four?

4. Will the other BBC SD channels suffer a reduction in bitrate?

When BBC Three stopped transmitting on DVB-T, I thought BBC Four
would
occupy its space. But no, it continues on COM7 (in HD format).
That's why I
asked a few weeks ago in a thread in this group whether the plan was
for all
the channels on COM7 and 8 to be moved eventually to one of the six
surviving multiplexes (PSB1,2,3 or COM4,5,6).

I would have thought that the transmitters that broadcast to
Scotland would
have different mix of channels, as they do at present, to include
some
Scotland-specific channels or variants of English channels. Likewise
for
Wales and Northern Ireland.

They do. However, my question was about the implications of
introducing BBC Scotland as a new channel.

Two questions:
Were not these changes in case Scotland won independence?
If BBC Scotland comes into being will they continue with Alba?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com