Old December 3rd 17, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default BBC Scotland - scope for confusion?

"Scott" wrote in message
I see that - subject to Ofcom consent - there is to be new BBC
Scotland television channel. As far as I can see, it will be SD only
and will take the position of BBC Four (channel 9 on Freeview). All
the opt-outs on BBC Two will transfer to the new channel so in effect
BBC Two Scotland will end, to be replaced by BBC Two England. BBC Two
SD and BBC Two HD will be the same.

1. Will having a BBC One Scotland and a BBC Scotland cause confusion?
Will BBC One get a new name, maybe 'BBC One in Scotland'?.

2. 'BBC Scotland' will now have two meanings - the (trading) name of
the broadcaster and the name of a TV channel.

3. Does this mean the eventual loss of BBC Four HD when COM7 closes
and the HD channels are consolidated into one multiplex, ie will there
be pressure to include BBC Scotland rather than BBC Four?

4. Will the other BBC SD channels suffer a reduction in bitrate?

When BBC Three stopped transmitting on DVB-T, I thought BBC Four would
occupy its space. But no, it continues on COM7 (in HD format). That's why I
asked a few weeks ago in a thread in this group whether the plan was for all
the channels on COM7 and 8 to be moved eventually to one of the six
surviving multiplexes (PSB1,2,3 or COM4,5,6).

I would have thought that the transmitters that broadcast to Scotland would
have different mix of channels, as they do at present, to include some
Scotland-specific channels or variants of English channels. Likewise for
Wales and Northern Ireland.