Old October 6th 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default [OT] Dual-Gang switched 13A + USB sockets

On Thursday, 5 October 2017 22:21:44 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
I need to partially rewire my apartment. I am tempted to replace some
old
double-switched sockets with those that incorporate USB sockets.

Some are described as Switched USB Socket 13A 2-gang + 2 USB.

Can I assume that the USB sockets on these are actually switched and
carry
no current until a plug is inserted?

If you have any experience of these things I would appreciate the
benefit of
your know-how.

The USB sockets are permanently powered, the switches only operate on
the 13A outlets.

Are they?

I rather hoped the better ones only powered the socket when the shield was lifted.

Also note that you will need at least a 35mm box to carry one of these
outlets as they are rather thicker. If your installation does not have
this depth of box then you may have to get spacer collars to fit
between the socket and the wall although they are a bit like rocking
horse **** to find. You will of course also need longer screws whether
you use the spacer or not.

--
Woody