Old October 5th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Cold caller

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 20:19:50 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Hey, last night I got a call from a bloke called Chris with a suspicious
Chinese/American accent wanting to do a survey about Aquariums.

A long time ago i got a sales call from someone in America who wanted to
know my bank account number.

I kept him talking so long I was getting seriously bored with the
conversation.

he had one more go at getting my account number before I reminded him
Britain wasn't a local call rate from America.

An issue once, but barely any more now: -

1927 £15 for [min] 3 minutes - probably about equivalent to about £200 per minute now.
1927 £5 for three minutes.
price fell gradually until ITD was introduced ~1960 and then more steeply
1971 £1 per minute (~= £20 now)
1985 60p per minute (~= £2 now)
2000 15p per minute (~20p now)
now 1.5p per minute (local calls are 1.2p)