Old September 17th 17, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default bbc inacuracies

"Java Jive" wrote in message
While generally I'm not slow to complain about the many scientific
inaccuracies in media reporting, I suspect the following complaint is
more politically than scientifically motivated ...

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 10:25:38 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

I saw a demonstration on one of the BBC TV magazine programmes a week
or so ago by 'a scientist', who was repeating the experiment done by
John Tyndall in the 1860's to demonstrate that CO2 in the atmosphere
absorbs infra-red radiation and is thus responsible for global
warming. What 'the scientist' failed to mention was that Tyndall
tested a range of atmosphere gases for their IR-absorbing capacity,
and concluded that water vapour was the strongest absorber and was the
principal gas controlling air temperature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tyndall

But what John Tyndall probably didn't, and apparently you don't, know
is that water vapour has such a short lifetime in the atmosphere, days
to weeks, that, when considering the impact of man's pollution on
climate, it is considerably less relevant than the things that hang
around for years/decades/centuries. It's main relevance is as an
amplifier for increases in temperature caused by CO2, methane, etc. So
the real problem is these other gases with long atmospheric lifetimes
- take care of them and the water vapour will look after itself.

Was there any mention of water vapour by 'the scientist' or even the
presenter? Was there heck!

I didn't see the program, but, given the above, it doesn't sound to me
as though water vapour was necessarily relevant to the point being
made by the programme.

Methane has a residence time of 12 years in the atmoshere with a warming
coefficient of 21 times that of CO2 at 5 years residence.