Old September 17th 17, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default bbc inacuracies

In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 09:46:40 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

When the Casini probe was due to crash into Saturn the news said it was
running out of power in its nuclear generator. This was not only untrue,
but other bbc programs like BBC Inside Science had got it right, saying
it was low on fuel for the jets that pointed it when gyros were not
suitable. I just wonder why they do not actually get an expert in for
news reports when they are writing them. They did correct it
afterwards, but really shoddy work indeed. Does not bode well for other
stories really. Brian

I never cease to be depressed by the scientific and technical ignorance
of media journalists.

a great many years ago I had to go and solve the Ceefax reception problems
of someone who had just been appointed Editor of Ceefax. He showed me a
page of garbled text; I went to "picture" and saw that the result was so
noisy it was almost unviewable. I said "that's not a very good picture" to
which he replied "I wouildn't know - I'm only a journalist." Until a month
before he'd been the BBC's Science Correspondent and, of course, saw studio
quality pictures every day.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England