Old September 17th 17, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default bbc inacuracies

On 17/09/2017 09:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
When the Casini probe was due to crash into Saturn the news said it was
running out of power in its nuclear generator. This was not only untrue, but
other bbc programs like BBC Inside Science had got it right, saying it was
low on fuel for the jets that pointed it when gyros were not suitable.
I just wonder why they do not actually get an expert in for news reports
when they are writing them. They did correct it afterwards, but really
shoddy work indeed. Does not bode well for other stories really. Brian

Which news report was this?

Incidentally, I find the excessive, unremarked, use of animations and
"artists impressions" in astronomical programmes annoying. The last Sky
at Night programme consisted almost exclusively of these: sometimes it's
obvious as the image shows the spacecraft itself or the quality is too
good. Some pictures that show the surface of a planet or moon it's not
obvious if it's real, enhanced or just made up.

I think they should show more actual images, even if they have false
colours.

--
Max Demian