Old September 13th 17, 03:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default battery tools are crap

In article , NY
wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
It sounds so attractive! No power cord! Use it where there's no mains!
But battery tools are rubbish compared to 110V or mains ones. Now I
don't do site work any more I can buy mains powered tools, and what a
revelation they are!

Firstly there's the fact that a mains powered tool can cost less than a
replacement battery. For instance a battery for my reciprocating saw
would have been 120. A new mains powered saw was 110.

Then there's the fact that battery tools run out of power just when you
don't want them to. So have two or three batteries and run mains for
the charger out to where your working ? Give over!

Then there's the fact that battery tools are always underpowered. You
pay more than twice the price for less than half the power. Even the
bigger battery tools tend to be rated at 300 to 450W, whereas the
mains equivalents are usually 1kW+.

And what a difference having adequate power makes! The job is so much
easier. Mains powered tools just glide through the work. The battery
equivalent would be slowing chugging along, then stopping due to a flat
battery.

Why people buy battery tools to use at home I really don't know.
Ignorance of the customer plus the vendor's sales hype I guess.
Thinking about it, I bet a lot of people who buy a battery drill have
never used an electric drill before, so they won't realise how limited
their new toy is.

Generally I agree with you, The only advantage that battery tools (lawn
mower, hedge trimmer, electric drill) have is that there is no power
cable to get tangled up around your feet, ladders, trees etc. But that
is about the only advantage.

sometimes you're doing things where there is no mains power. I worked on
quite a few open air thetare shows. We had a gennie for the lighting and
sound, but it wasn't going to get turned on so that a few of us could use
power tools during the get-in - and sometimes it hadn't arrived on site
anyway.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England