Old September 9th 17, 03:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default BT Call Protect

On 09/09/2017 13:37, Scott wrote:
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering
returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect.

Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the
BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and
I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know
how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.

I have a spare mobile with a number I have never given to anybody.
It gets cold calls which I never answer. The caller number is stored
and I can look at who called. Most of them are withheld. The rest are
about four (false) numbers.

The usual arrangement mentioned in newsgroups is to buy the BT phone
that has call blocking[1], because that blocks specific numbers you put
in, allows through all calls from numbers in your callers list, and asks
withheld numbers to identify themselves, only allowing through any that
do. That type of phone works on anybody's phone service, and the
"identify yourself" feature is not part of the BT Call Protect service.

[1] I can't remember the type number, but no doubt someone who has got
one will chip in.

Jim