Old September 5th 17, 06:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Which Smart Box to use with Dumb TV?

Turn on the voice view.

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 12:32:14 +0100, Bill Taylor
wrote:

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 04:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Holmes
wrote:

Hi,

As nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to whether a BT Youview
box will work in the absence of an aerial connection......

What smartening thingies could be plugged into HDMI on a Dumb TV to
enable access to (via broadband);

BBC/ITV (either real time, or catch up)

Netflix

Amazon Prime.

TIA

Chris

I've just bought an Amazon FireTV.

Impressed so far. Responsive and fairly good user interface and
streams Amazon videos and BBC iplayer better than the PC does, even
over the wifi connection. The ITV and Channel 4 players seem to work,
although I haven't watched anything from them yet.

Haven't tried any other boxes; some of the more expensive Android
devices get good reviews, but as an Amazon user I'd have thought that
the Amazon Fire TV stick was an obvious choice, cheap and generally
well received.

Yes, I've recently got an Amazon Fire TV stick, and it seems to work
well for BBC IPlayer and All4, and that's on a minimum speed broadband
connection. I've not tried it on a film though. My only complaint so
far is the user interface, that I find a real pain to navigate!

--

Chris