Old September 5th 17, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Which Smart Box to use with Dumb TV?

And it also has a voice as well so you can use it if you are not good
sighted.

"Bill Taylor" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 04:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Holmes
wrote:

Hi,

As nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to whether a BT Youview box
will work in the absence of an aerial connection......

What smartening thingies could be plugged into HDMI on a Dumb TV to enable
access to (via broadband);

BBC/ITV (either real time, or catch up)

Netflix

Amazon Prime.

TIA

Chris

I've just bought an Amazon FireTV.

Impressed so far. Responsive and fairly good user interface and
streams Amazon videos and BBC iplayer better than the PC does, even
over the wifi connection. The ITV and Channel 4 players seem to work,
although I haven't watched anything from them yet.

Haven't tried any other boxes; some of the more expensive Android
devices get good reviews, but as an Amazon user I'd have thought that
the Amazon Fire TV stick was an obvious choice, cheap and generally
well received.