Old September 5th 17, 12:32 PM posted to
Bill Taylor[_2_]
Default Which Smart Box to use with Dumb TV?

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 04:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Holmes

As nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to whether a BT Youview box will work in the absence of an aerial connection......

What smartening thingies could be plugged into HDMI on a Dumb TV to enable access to (via broadband);

BBC/ITV (either real time, or catch up)

Amazon Prime.

I've just bought an Amazon FireTV.

Impressed so far. Responsive and fairly good user interface and
streams Amazon videos and BBC iplayer better than the PC does, even
over the wifi connection. The ITV and Channel 4 players seem to work,
although I haven't watched anything from them yet.

Haven't tried any other boxes; some of the more expensive Android
devices get good reviews, but as an Amazon user I'd have thought that
the Amazon Fire TV stick was an obvious choice, cheap and generally
well received.