Old August 25th 17, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Samsung TV's "bricked"

On 25/08/17 18:09, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 17:46:31 +0100
Alan White wrote:

According to today's 13:00 BBC One news, they will all have a driver
but the rear two just sit there. The lead truck generates a wifi
hotspot which allows the two rear trucks to drive very close to one
another and to respond faster than a human. Why not do away with the
wifi control link, do away with the two rear drivers, do away with
the two rear cabs, connect the rear two trailers to the driving truck
with sturdy tow bars and bingo!

I had thought that, the Australians have them and call them Road
Trains. Like you, I cannot see any advantage of the proposed system
over the one already tried and tested.

Road trains in Australia are simply one tractor unit pulling two or
three trailers, not separate vehicles. As far as I remember, they are
not allowed inside cities or larger towns, and stop at areas outside,
where the trailers are split and additional tractor units connected to
take them into the urban areas.

I remember being parked at the side of the highway when one of these
road trains went past doing over 100kph. Even though I was in a big car
(a 4.2 litre Holden), it was bounced around by the air being forced out
of the way. I don't know if it is apocryphal or not, but I heard that
parked caravans have been wrecked after being sucked into the slipstream.

--

Jeff