Old August 21st 17, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default Cold reboot needed for TV

On 2017-08-18, Jeff Layman wrote:
Yesterday, as on many previous occasions, I got a YouTube video on my
Panasonic TX-55CX680B "Smart" TV for my grandson. As the advert at the
start came to an end, the screen froze, then went blank. I could not get
back to the video or even to the TV channels. The only buttons on the
remote which the TV responded to were the eHelp and Power on/off (into
standby).

Leaving it in standby for a minute or two didn't help. I could turn the
TV on, but other than the eHelp button, it didn't respond. So I turned
it off at the mains, waited for a couple of minutes and turned it on
again. Everything was back to normal, and this time the YouTube video
was fine.

Bloody computers!

Panasonic audiovisual equipment is one of the brands I will not buy.
Recently superseded in my loathing by Samsung.

I have three pieces of Samsung equipment, a Galaxy smartphone, a laser
printer and a smart TV. They all work as described and have never given me a
minutes problems, once they had trained me to use them.

Now I am easily driven up the wall by annoying devices but (and I am a long
time Linux user) I think the TV is the best implementation of Linux that I
have ever employed. During the four years that I have owned it, every menu
item behaved exactly as intended. No false results, no crashing. Total
reliability. If I had to buy again I would, as always check for user reviews
first but the likelihood is that I would buy Samsung again.

I just wish we hadn't destroyed our reputation for reliability that we used
to have and had South Korea's!