Old August 3rd 17, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Default Humax Freesat upgrade

On 03/08/2017 15:55, David wrote:
We have a (several years) old Humax Foxsat HD where the BBC iPlayer no
longer works and there is no recording capability (internal or external).

We also have a Humax HB1000S with an external drive for recording. The
only issue with this is the single tuner which means you can't watch one
thing and record another. However this isn't a massive issue because I
would have to upgrade from a 4 port LNB to an 8 port LNB and run extra
cable around the house to be able to use any more tuners.

Now Humax Direct offer a refurbished HB-1000S for £69 and I can get a 1TB
external USB drive from Argos for under £50 so for around £120 I can get a
more recent Freesat recorder.

The cheapest from Humax with an internal disc is the HDR-1100S 500GB at
£149.99. 1TB is £189.99.

So I am struggling to decide if I should get the 2 tuner setup for the
extra recording ability or just get another single tuner setup and source
an external drive.

Any other options which perform as well as the Humax and also don't cost a
fortune?

I'm just trying to work out at the moment if I will regret not getting
that extra tuner.

Cheers

Dave R

I have an old Humax Foxsat HDR. It only has two LNB inputs, one of which
has an output for looping through to the other. I only use one input and
loop through. When recording, channels on different band and
polarisation are greyed out, but I can usually find a regional
alternative BBC channel to record that as well. So often I can be
recording two and watching a third if its band and polarisation is the
same as one of the ones being recorded.

I have never yet felt the need to go to a dual LNB, let alone quad. I
would try to buy a second-hand Foxsat HDR, because there is software
available for it on the web to prevent the encryption of HD recordings,
allowing you to preserve them for replay on another device.
--
Dave W