Old August 3rd 17, 05:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

Default Humax Freesat upgrade

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 16:21:16 +0100, tim... wrote:

"David" wrote in message
We have a (several years) old Humax Foxsat HD where the BBC iPlayer no
longer works and there is no recording capability (internal or
external).

We also have a Humax HB1000S with an external drive for recording. The
only issue with this is the single tuner which means you can't watch
one thing and record another. However this isn't a massive issue
because I would have to upgrade from a 4 port LNB to an 8 port LNB and
run extra cable around the house to be able to use any more tuners.

Now Humax Direct offer a refurbished HB-1000S for £69 and I can get a
1TB external USB drive from Argos for under £50 so for around £120 I
can get a more recent Freesat recorder.

The cheapest from Humax with an internal disc is the HDR-1100S 500GB at
£149.99. 1TB is £189.99.

So I am struggling to decide if I should get the 2 tuner setup for the
extra recording ability or just get another single tuner setup and
source an external drive.

Any other options which perform as well as the Humax and also don't
cost a fortune?

I'm just trying to work out at the moment if I will regret not getting
that extra tuner.

how can we answer that?

I would be lost without twin record capacity

But it is clear that others manage adequately without it

Further disclosure.

We have Virgin Media and a Tivo (with 3 tuners) downstairs.
So most stuff can be recorded on there and played back later.
However I find it really useful to be able to record things that are in my
special interest range such as cycle races (e.g. TDF) and F1 and be able
to play them back without competing for the main recorder.

Current upgrade requirement is that my partner has the older box upstairs
and can no longer watch iPlayer.
It would be nice if the upgrade could also record stuff.
However it is always available downstairs.

Haven't progressed to being able to play Tivo recordings on other devices.

So I can see extra flexibility (and I have had issues where TDF conflicts
with F1 on rare occasions) with two tuners but I'm trying to decide if I'm
just naturally tight with money and a larger LNB and a multi-tuner STB
would be a good long term investment.

Cheers

Dave R

---