Old July 31st 17, 10:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Default BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary.

On 31/07/2017 18:23, Terry Casey wrote:

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

I agree with you as regards the facts of the war. But I feel your
criticism of the use of Ypres is OTT. That is how the place was and is
generally known to the British; and the town's own tourist site seems to
have no problem with Ypres for English. In other words, I suggest they
like me see the town as having many names in many different languages -
a sign of how widely known it is in different countries.

http://www.toerisme-ieper.be/en/page...in-ypres-.html

Similarly while the French and English names for Ieper may be spelt the
same (Ypres) they are not necessarily pronounced the same. A bit like
Paris perhaps - apart from those who always pronounce that as a French
speaker would, even when speaking English.

--
Robin