Old July 31st 17, 06:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

Default BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary.

I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10
o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of
the start of the Third Battle of Ieper.

The battle lasted three months until the village of
Passchendaele - its target, was reached - we were told.
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

The target was the North Sea ports with the intention of
halting the activities of the German U-boats which were
using them.

Later, at the Menin Gate, we were told that the 55,000 names
on the memorial were those of the men who died at
Paschendael and have no known graves. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

As Wikipedia states: 'On completion of the memorial, it was
discovered to be too small to contain all the names as
originally planned. An arbitrary cut-off point of 15 August
1917 was chosen and the names of 34,984 UK missing after
this date were inscribed on the Tyne Cot Memorial to the
Missing instead.'

So yes, a few of the names will be of men who fought in the
first fortnight of the battle but the vast majority are not!

In the entire report there was only one person - a
representitive of The Commonwealth War Graves Commission -
who correctly pronounced the name of the town - Ieper. All
the rest mangled the pronunciation of the French name for
this Flemish town (Ypres). True, that is the name by which
it was known in WWI, but it was as wrong then as it is now.

When Belgium first gained its independence in 1830, all of
the coal, steel and manufacturing industry - hence the
wealth of the country - were in the south in French speaking
Wallonia.

So the Walloons took control of the country and said that
the language would be French and those peasant farmers in
the north could like it or lump it. Thus began the struggle
by the Flemish for the right to their own identity and there
are now, after over a century, separate Walloon and Flemish
parliaments. My and my wife's respective French teacher told
us, incorrectly, that you could speak French in Belgium. I
think the average Fleming would find this rather insulting
and trying out your schoolboy (or girl) French in Flanders
is not recommended!

Go to Flanders expecting helpful road signs to guide you to
Ypres Centre Ville will get you nowhere. the signs you
should be looking for say Ieper Centrum ...

I think the prize for the worst pronunciation of Ypres must
go to Helen Mirren who, in the earlier program on BBC2,
repeatedly said Eep-rah - where did the ah come from? The
French famously do not pronounce the ends of their words and
Ypres is no exception with only the r being pronounced, thus
Eepr.

Don't worry folks! After all, it's only our licence money
that pays for all this plus, for the concert in Ieper
itself, presumably our taxes ...

--

Terry