Old July 22nd 17, 06:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Default I can't get rid of the smell

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 21/07/2017 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when
I'm
here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty
inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination
of
old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear. No
its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet since
then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if I'm in another
house.
Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you
get
spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some bugs
living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.
Brian

Dust is largely made up of skin particles that you've shed. The smell you
notice is that of burning skin. It's important for survival of the
species that you recognise it and dislike it.

Like the time I was trying to adjust the horizontal frequency in an old
valve CTV and got an arc to my knuckle - didn't feel a thing till I noticed
the smell of burning flesh.