Old July 22nd 17, 09:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default I can't get rid of the smell

I remember those old Baird colour console sets used to have a wonderful
charred smell even when working normally and all those glowing little neons
on the pcbs were really cute as well.

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when
I'm here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was
dusty inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that
combination of old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on
older gear. No its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it
and yet since then all I can smell is this smell. Its in my nose even if
I'm in another house.
Has anyone heard of this before? I know sometimes when you are ill you
get spurious smells but I don't think that is the case here, unless some
bugs living in my TV have taken up residency in my nose.
Brian

A trick some equipment restorers use is pack it with deodourising kitty
litter.

Its mostly non smokers handling stuff from a smoker household, but should
work with other nasty niffs.

Fidelity CTVs were the undisputed kings of peculiar smells while warming
up. Philips TVs tried to keep up when they'd been stored in damp
conditions.