Old July 13th 17, 12:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default channel line-up

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I do wish they would leave stuff alone though. Every time I do a retune I
need to do it more than once as usually some seem to be unobtainable for
some odd reason.
Its just a bit of a silly way to go on. When they invented the system you
would have thought it might have been bomb proof in its specs.
Brian

I can understand why it wasn't when they "invented" it,

but it certainly should have been part of the spec for freeview plus for
seamless channel reorganisations

The problem is that there wasn't a proper plan of the LCN assignments at the
start, with separate decades or centuries for each genre, and lots of spare
space for new channels in each genre.

I'm sure it wasn't that long ago that there was another renumbering exercise
to put adult channels as far away from other channels as possible to reduce
the chance of encountering them accidentally. And I think the children's
channels were renumbered at that time too, so why are they being renumbered
again?

Someone said that it didn't matter what LCN was used because he searched for
the channel or the programme. That's valid up to a point, but I find that I
learn the LCNs of the channels that I access frequently and type them
explicitly: it's quicker to key 20 to get to Drama than it is to scroll up
or down the list by pressing Up or Down an arbitrary number of times, or to
enter the first few letters of the channel or programme name using the
1=ABC, 2=DEF letter-to-digit assignments on a remote control, as you have to
do on a Sky box.

Likewise when going to a channel in the EPG - I do it by LCN unless the
channel whose listings I want to scroll through is within a couple of
channels of the one that is currently selected.

On a PC, it's easier: you've got a proper QWERTY keyboard so it's easy to
search by channel or programme name - that's what I usually do with Windows
Media Centre or Next PVR which is how I record most programmes nowadays,
either for timeshifting or archiving.