Old July 7th 17, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space

On 07/07/2017 09:40, tim... wrote:
"Phi" wrote in message
news

Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator
keeps repeating what the scientists say.

I think that looking for ET is nothing more than a child's game

If we do (somehow) find this information what the **** are we going to
do with it? How does it help mankind?

Sometimes knowledge is important or interesting just for what it is. It
shows we have vision beyond where the next meal is coming from. It's a
form of art.

We don't necessarily know what we're going to do with any information we
find. It depends to some extent on what it is we discover.

(given that we have exhausted the possibilities of intelligent life in
our own solar system) anything that we receive now wont be from a
current civilization, it will be from the civilization as it existed
thousands of years ago and could well be extinct by now.

and we can't communicate back. That conversation would take (the same)
thousands of years and we would all be dead before a reply came.

I can't understand why our (the world's) government(s) puts billions of
pounds into providing science with the equipment that they use to
undertake this IMHO worthless investigation.

I don't think they do actually. The amount spent on looking for
extraterrestrial life can only be a miniscule percentage of overall
spending on science and research.

There are far better uses of this money IMHO (and I'm talking "within
the world of science").

It depends whether you think any knowledge is worthless. Sometimes such
knowledge turns out to be surprising and surprisingly useful. If we
only did things that had a predictable outcome, we'd never do any
research and never find anything new.