Old June 25th 17, 02:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

Default Audio return channel

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 08:12:07 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

I have a Panasonic TX-55CX680B TV and Onkyo AV TX-SR252 receiver
connected via HDMI.

If I change the TV's volume with its remote control with the AV receiver
off, the on-screen display shows "Volume" with a sliding scale and
volume level number which changes, increasing or decreasing as the sound
level increases or decreases.

If I have the AV receiver on, and use its remote control to change its
volume, the AV receiver volume level number similarly increases or
decreases on its built-in display. However, nothing shows on the TV
display to signify the volume has changed.

However, if I use the TV's remote control to change the TV's volume with
the AV receiver on, the TV displays "Home cinema volume" with an arrow
pointing towards + or - (depending on whether I am increasing or
decreasing the volume), but no number appears on the TV screen to
indicate what the volume level is. Strangely, though, the AV receiver
display also changes and displays a number which changes with the volume
level.

Any idea if the "Home cinema volume" OSD wording which appears when ARC
is operating is generated by the TV when it senses ARC or is it
generated by the AV receiver? There is no mention of this wording in the
Onkyo manual or Panasonic manual, although the latter somewhat
ambiguously states "The displayed item may vary depending on the
connected equipment."

What do others see with OSD volume level changes with their TVs and AV
equipment?

Not really answering your question, but when I adjust the volume of my
TV, I do not require my viewing pleasure to be interrupted by a
barometer graphic worthy of a church roof repair appeal.

I just want it to discreetly alter the volume.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%