Old June 24th 17, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default Audio return channel

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 08:12:07 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

I have a Panasonic TX-55CX680B TV and Onkyo AV TX-SR252 receiver
connected via HDMI.

If I change the TV's volume with its remote control with the AV receiver
off, the on-screen display shows "Volume" with a sliding scale and
volume level number which changes, increasing or decreasing as the sound
level increases or decreases.

If I have the AV receiver on, and use its remote control to change its
volume, the AV receiver volume level number similarly increases or
decreases on its built-in display. However, nothing shows on the TV
display to signify the volume has changed.

However, if I use the TV's remote control to change the TV's volume with
the AV receiver on, the TV displays "Home cinema volume" with an arrow
pointing towards + or - (depending on whether I am increasing or
decreasing the volume), but no number appears on the TV screen to
indicate what the volume level is. Strangely, though, the AV receiver
display also changes and displays a number which changes with the volume
level.

Any idea if the "Home cinema volume" OSD wording which appears when ARC
is operating is generated by the TV when it senses ARC or is it
generated by the AV receiver? There is no mention of this wording in the
Onkyo manual or Panasonic manual, although the latter somewhat
ambiguously states "The displayed item may vary depending on the
connected equipment."

What do others see with OSD volume level changes with their TVs and AV
equipment?

Not the same models, but I have a 50" Panny and an Onkyo AVR; ARC is off*. I
use the Humax HDR on Freesat about 99.9% of the time (Freeview v. rarely)
and the volume control on that shows the slider on screen.

The control on the AVR - not used - shows nothing on the screen, so it looks
like it's Onkyo.

*I don't use ARC as a) it doesnt seem to be of any use to me and b) it
causes a 15W increase in power in standby mode!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away