Old June 21st 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Default tv aerial masts

Stephen laid this down on his screen :
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

A good signal straight from the antenna, is better than one which has
needed amplification. So if you are in a weak area, aim for a higher
gain antenna.

Height is only needed to find a line of sight over obstructions. A
antenna in the loft will be much worse than one outside, especially
when the roof is wet.

An alloy pole is the standard for TV antennas, because steel rusts. I
got the installer to just drop the coax end into the loft via the roof
tiles. It then plugs into a socket which takes the feed down through
the house, into a distribution unit. Then from that I took cables to
every room. With the cables safely inside, they last much longer and I
hate to see cables draped down houses, lose and flapping in the breeze.
The antenna has had to be replaced once since then, but having the
input socket in the loft, makes for a quicker and cheaper replacement.