Old May 22nd 17, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default My TV has started 'posterizing'

A little bit extreme I'd say, if its been OK then its dependent on whether
the repair is possible or affordable really.

"PLC" wrote in message
On 21/05/2017 22:27, Roger Mills wrote:
I have a Philips 37" flat screen HD-ready TV which is about 10 or 11
years old. Of late, it's started posterizing its picture under some
circumstances.

[Posterizing is an effect available in many photo editing programs for
reducing the colour depth and hence displaying large patches of single
colours rather than graduations].

My picture isn't as extreme as that, and most colours are ok - but the
problem particularly affects (European) skin tones - and there are often
large green patches on people's faces and exposed arms, etc. People with
darker skins display ok.

The set is fed by an HDMI cable connected to a Humax PVR, and I wasn't
sure at first whether it was a problem with the Humax or cable rather
than the set itself - but when I replay old footage from my Android
tablet (which was ok at the time it was recorded) into the other HDMI
port, the problem is present on that too - so it's almost certainly the
set.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to the root cause? Is it likely to be
easily fixable?

After ten years it is beyond economic repair. Buy a true HD one not a
cheapo HD ready one that are still available for the unwary to buy.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid