Old May 21st 17, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

Default My TV has started 'posterizing'

On Sun, 21 May 2017 22:27:00 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

I have a Philips 37" flat screen HD-ready TV which is about 10 or 11
years old. Of late, it's started posterizing its picture under some
circumstances.

[Posterizing is an effect available in many photo editing programs for
reducing the colour depth and hence displaying large patches of single
colours rather than graduations].

My picture isn't as extreme as that, and most colours are ok - but the
problem particularly affects (European) skin tones - and there are often
large green patches on people's faces and exposed arms, etc. People with
darker skins display ok.

The set is fed by an HDMI cable connected to a Humax PVR, and I wasn't
sure at first whether it was a problem with the Humax or cable rather
than the set itself - but when I replay old footage from my Android
tablet (which was ok at the time it was recorded) into the other HDMI
port, the problem is present on that too - so it's almost certainly the set.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to the root cause? Is it likely to be
easily fixable?

My first port of call would be to go through the menus and switch off
all picture "enhancements". Perhaps you've has a house guest who was
board, and you weren't looking.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%