Old May 19th 17, 02:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Novelty aerals.

Yes some of these cheap walkie talkies seem to have a little rubber duck
aerial but many of those are just decoration as the aerial is a strip of
copper on one side of the internal pcb.

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
If you open up an external aerial from a wi-fi router - one of those
jointed screw on things - you'll find that it consists of a length of
miniature co-ax with the braid stripped from the last 3cm or so. You
can also buy "high gain" aerials for some routers, which just look
like the same thing but about a foot long instead of a few inches. I
haven't had the opportunity to examine one of these high gain ones,
but in view of the frequencies used, I can't see how it could be
anything other than the same thing but on the end of a longer stick.
If it gets better results it must be by virtue of better positioning
rather than any superior property of the 3cm of wire itself.

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

Rod.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 07:25:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on the
tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember a small
,
well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in plastic.
Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a bit of ewiire
inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just look at
hisstory.

---
http://www.avg.com