Old April 16th 17, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default This 'new channels' game

On 16/04/2017 18:36, NY wrote:
"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
The main thrust
of 'advertising' isn't so much to persuade someone directly to 'go out
and buy' so much as simply to maintain "Brand Awareness" in the mind of
the "Valued Customer" (aka, 'Valued Resource') so that when they are
wandering the aisles of their favoured group of chain stores, they will
be more likely to purchase the advertised "Named Brand" than a "No Name
Brand".

The problem with that is when you get people like me. I remember the advert
and the product but rarely the brand: I remember "that was the advert for
chips" but I've no idea which brand.

So the advert may make me think about buying chips, but I may equally well
buy a competitor's brand :-)

Maybe I have become more cynical with age, or maybe today's adverts have
become too clever by half, but I can remember more brands with adverts from
the 1970s and 80s than I can with today's adverts. "For Mash get Smash" and
the aliens, "Graded grains make finer flour (Homepride), "You can't get
fitter than a Kwik Fit fitter".

You can't remember the lovely 'Go Compare' operatic song then, the Money
Supermarket 'You're so epic' men in hotpants, or the Compare the Market
meerkats?