Old April 16th 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default This 'new channels' game

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 10:45:27 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

The idea sounds OK but the problem is that adverts very seldom work any
more so I see a crash not very far into the future when advertisers
realise the goose that laid the Golden Egg has been deceased for some
time now. Then maybe we will see us all having to pay for all channels
and there will be a huge shake up of what is being made.

That's a rather naive view of 'advertising', imo, Brian. The main thrust
of 'advertising' isn't so much to persuade someone directly to 'go out
and buy' so much as simply to maintain "Brand Awareness" in the mind of
the "Valued Customer" (aka, 'Valued Resource') so that when they are
wandering the aisles of their favoured group of chain stores, they will
be more likely to purchase the advertised "Named Brand" than a "No Name
Brand".

You may think that "Advertising no longer works." but you'd be totally
under-estimating the efficacy of the psychological war being waged on the
poor defenceless consumer by the marketing and advertising agencies who
employ only the best psychologists that money can buy.

It's no accident that the agencies have always referred to their
advertising efforts as "Advertising Campaigns". That phrase was well
chosen by those who understood the true nature of their task from the off.

Whenever I'm out shopping with the XYL, wandering around the
(admittedly, well signposted) maze of shopping aisles in the likes of
Asda, Aldi, Morrisons, Tesco, Home & Bargain or any other large chain
store you care to mention, I'm always very conscious of the fact that I'm
being treated just like a lab rat in a laboratory maze set about with
various psychological traps.

In the case of the aforementioned emporia, their proprietors are waging
a psychological war against the shopper (or, more accurately, their bank
balance - the aim of *this game* being to maximise depletion of same
since it directly corresponds to maximising the profitability of the
business of selling goods, the sole point of their existence).

The very layout of such stores from the aisles right down to the
individual shelving is very carefully arranged to maximise sales of
highly profitable lines whilst discouraging sales of low profit versions
provided to give the illusion of choice and is a fine example of the
"Psychological Mind Game" par excellence.

Even the knowledge that you're patrolling a psychological war zone can't
completely protect you from your most hidden 'retail therapy' desires
(not even being a grown up man who *does* understand the need to *only*
food shop *after* a very heavy meal!).

Advertising has been such an all pervading and insidious part our lives
since the advent of TV advertising (over half a century ago in the UK)
that it's almost impossible to completely shake off its influence on our
purchasing habits even when we're actively trying to nullify its effect.

--
Johnny B Good