Old April 2nd 17, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default A couple of quick Qs about freesat...

On Sunday, 2 April 2017 00:53:44 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 26/03/2017 12:47, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 25 March 2017 17:15:21 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
My sister has moved into a rented house in the middle of nowhere with
b*gger all terrestrial reception but it does have a dish with a double
cable.

I presume this means that she can use a freesat box or PVR with twin
tuners? (I know nothing about sat).

She may only be in this property for a few months so may not want to invest
too much in a freesat pvr. Can anyone recommend a decent budget brand or
advise of any ones to avoid?

Tim

For PVRs see https://forums.digitalspy.com/catego...esat-recorders

Make sure that any one you get supports DVB-S2.

Some TVs do come with a Satellite Tuner.

and even more weirdly on some it is / was undocumented. A neighbours LG 42UB580V actually had a mutli satellite DVB-S2 tuner, not described in the English manual at all.

Look for an unexpected F-Connector next to the coaxial aerial socket.

--
Michael Chare

I recently bought a Samsung UHD TV. The web spec said it did not have a
Satellite tuner, I rang them and they confirmed this, but when it
arrived there was the F-connector and it works.

I should say that I bought the model with the smallest screen. I think
the larger screen models were showing as having DVB-S2

The way to be fairly sure before purchase is two fold: -

1. Look up the same model on their German web site (use the translator if necessary). This will show whether there is a DVB-S2 tuner.

2. Visually inspect the set in the shop or even try it (Richer Sounds promised to let me do this).

Better LG and Samsung models tend to have undocumented DVB-S2 tuners.

--
Michael Chare

---