Old March 31st 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

Default A couple of quick Qs about freesat...

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message ...

On 26/03/2017 12:47, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 25 March 2017 17:15:21 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 25/03/2017 14:31, Tim+ wrote:
My sister has moved into a rented house in the middle of nowhere with
b*gger all terrestrial reception but it does have a dish with a double
cable.

I presume this means that she can use a freesat box or PVR with twin
tuners? (I know nothing about sat).

She may only be in this property for a few months so may not want to
invest
too much in a freesat pvr. Can anyone recommend a decent budget brand
or
advise of any ones to avoid?

Tim

For PVRs see https://forums.digitalspy.com/catego...esat-recorders

Make sure that any one you get supports DVB-S2.

Some TVs do come with a Satellite Tuner.

and even more weirdly on some it is / was undocumented. A neighbours LG
42UB580V actually had a mutli satellite DVB-S2 tuner, not described in the
English manual at all.

Look for an unexpected F-Connector next to the coaxial aerial socket.

--
Michael Chare

I bought a LG TV a couple of years ago. It had a F connector that
wasn't mentioned in the manual. When I connected it to my dish it tuned
in all the freesat channels.
I still use Freeview through the normal aerial connector though.

Jim
I have a Sony 55" bought about 6 months ago, it has a satellite tuner but
it's not Freesat. It will tune all available channels with all the regional
variations etc. and it's time consuming sorting them into some sort of
order. Found a program called Sony Editor he
https://www.sony.de/electronics/supp...loads/Z0002452 which helps a
bit, it can be installed in German or English. It's a version of another
commercial program but I can't remember the name.

Kenny

Meant to add that I've had for some years a Ross HRD-6110U which came with
dish and fixings. Again it's not Freesat but tunes all the channels like
the Sony, can record to USB and it was cheap. The dish rusted and was
replaced but the box is still going strong in a bedroom.