Old March 30th 17, 09:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Default Hopeless at maths

Bill Wright wrote:
I'm hopeless at maths, but I'm trying to get something across to an
intelligent child. So, if the distance from here to London (250km) is
represented by the thickness of a hair (0.2mm) how far is a light year?
It doesn't have to be a hair; it could be anything familiar and small.

It's 2.5 million light years to the Andromeda Galaxy; that's what we're
discussing.

Help!

Bill

Why use hair widths as an analogy? Most of us have no idea how thick a hair
is. Surely the standard unit of length/distance is the double decker bus?
;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls