Old March 30th 17, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
johnt

Default Hopeless at maths

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
I'm hopeless at maths, but I'm trying to get something across to an
intelligent child. So, if the distance from here to London (250km) is
represented by the thickness of a hair (0.2mm) how far is a light year?
It doesn't have to be a hair; it could be anything familiar and small.

It's 2.5 million light years to the Andromeda Galaxy; that's what we're
discussing.

Help!

Bill

If 250km = a hair of 0.2 mm in width, my rough calculation suggests that a
light year would be represented by something with a width of about 53,000
km.
--
JohnT