Old March 30th 17, 07:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Default Hopeless at maths

Bill Wright wrote:
I'm hopeless at maths, but I'm trying to get something across to an
intelligent child. So, if the distance from here to London (250km) is
represented by the thickness of a hair (0.2mm) how far is a light year?
It doesn't have to be a hair; it could be anything familiar and small.

I always find this sort of analogy simply annoying. It's a bit like
"it weighs the same as ten thousand bags of sugar".

Does it really convey anything except that a light year is a very long
way?

--
Chris Green
ยท