Old March 30th 17, 07:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

Default Hopeless at maths

On 30/03/2017 19:39, Bill Wright wrote:
I'm hopeless at maths, but I'm trying to get something across to an
intelligent child. So, if the distance from here to London (250km) is
represented by the thickness of a hair (0.2mm) how far is a light year?
It doesn't have to be a hair; it could be anything familiar and small.

It's 2.5 million light years to the Andromeda Galaxy; that's what we're
discussing.

Help!

Bill

Do you have any familiar small objects that are only about 7,000 Km in
size? 'Cos, according to my back of an envelope calculations, that's the
size you'd need to represent a light year if 250Km is represented by 0.2mm
--
Cheers,
Roger