Old March 30th 17, 02:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Long gaps short range

No its crying out for either some automated standard system, or perhaps a
knob we can turn.
It all started around the gulf war time when I still had some sight. An
interview with a member of Saddams Government was sometimes just enough out
to make it looked dubbed rather than real, but sometimes it was fine.
Now of course I'd never know, Instead we now have adio decription drift one
way or the other so events already happend get described , whereas the
standard is to mostly pre empt them unless the surprise is part of the
effect being attempted. This is why AD is a very hard thing to do, but if
they cannot set it in sync it makes all the efforts of the ad person a waste
of time.

Also with old series, how is it that things like Murder she wrote gets ad
but the Avengers do not?

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:08:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Incidentally how much delay can one expect if one uses blue tooth
speakers
for surround on a telly? Won't bother me cos cannot see the pic, but
people
tell me the lip sync can drift out.

I don't know about Bluetooth speakers, but sound out of sync with
video seems pretty common with any digital source. I have an Amazon
box connected to a TV display by HDMI cables that go via an HDMI to
phono audio adaptor (because the Amazon box doesn't have a separate
audio output) and I find that the discrepancy between sound and video
varies according to what I'm watching, even though it's from the same
box. BBC iPlayer and Youtube seem about right, but Amazon's own shows
and some, but not all, movies have the sound ahead of the picture. A
setting of about 250ms or 300ms on an audio delay unit usually
corrects this, and I use the "tape monitoring" switch (remember
those?) on the hi-fi amplifier to switch it in and out of circuit as
necessary, the delay being connected as if it were a tape recorder.
This arrangement works for me, but I don't think it should be
necessary at all.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com