Old March 30th 17, 09:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
dave

Default Long gaps short range

On 30/03/17 08:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I noticed the other night during coverage of the Westminster bridge silent
vigil that there seemed to be almost as much delay in the interview with the
reporter as you might expect if it was going on in the usa. I find it really
annoyin when you get these delays, and the thing is we never used to have
it, so what is going on here? is the delay in the digital processing or
what?
Brian

I'm surprised that the broadcasters haven't got round this, at least for
simple reports-to-camera. If there is a two-second delay on the
satellite link, and they're using the same link for talkback, they could
cue the OB reporter four seconds before the studio announcer ends his
introduction for a seamless handover. That wouldn't work for interviews
of course but even then the reporter could 'crash' the question with his
answer to reduce the delay a bit.
--
Dave