Old March 30th 17, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default Long gaps short range

On 30/03/2017 08:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I noticed the other night during coverage of the Westminster bridge silent
vigil that there seemed to be almost as much delay in the interview with the
reporter as you might expect if it was going on in the usa. I find it really
annoyin when you get these delays, and the thing is we never used to have
it, so what is going on here? is the delay in the digital processing or
what?

It's still a 44,000 mile round trip if a satellite link is being used,
and (more significantly) all the codec delays in both directions. Much
of last week's coverage of the Westminster incident was via 4G bonded
connections, saves mucking about with dishes, and often is the only way
to get pictures out from 'urban canyon' streets. There's loads of
latency with 4G style connections.

--
Mark