Old March 18th 17, 03:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default serving the public

For many years I've used a particular butcher. I must have spent
thousands in that shop. I believe in building up a relationship.
Yesterday I asked for something I often buy: beef dripping (it makes
fantastic roasties).
"Don't keep it any more."
"Why?"
"Not many people wanted it." He shrugged and turned away.
I was going to say, "Well I buy it," or something like that, but then I
thought, "Why should I bother?"
It wasn't the lack of beef dripping that did it. It was the dismissive
attitude and the shrug.
Those of us who live by serving the public would do well to remember
that if a good customer wants something that we don't have, it might be
wise to research it with a view to getting him some. If it really is
impossible, it would be good to show some sign of apology and offer an
explanation.
There are two other butchers in the area, just as good, and one of them
is closer to home. So that's where I'll be spending my fifty quids in
future.

Bill