Old March 18th 17, 03:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default TV system conversion

wrote in message
On Saturday, 18 March 2017 04:50:22 UTC, wrote:
This device is the size of a paperback book and cost £55. It works
perfectly. I would love to go back in time and show it to the engineers
of 1950!

Ah, 1950 (not that I remember it of course), education was useful, houses
were affordable, healthcare was available and jobs were secure.

And only another 6 years of sweet rationing to go!

And still King George VI on the throne. And no-one had ever heard of
Coronation Chicken :-)

I think the biggest technological advances are in size of cameras. I still
find it hard to get my head round the fact that you can use a camera that is
little bigger than a matchbox to record HD pictures for several hours onto a
wafer about the size of your little fingernail. Shame that all the ones of
that size (GoPro, SJCAM 5000, various dashcams) can only record in
US-standard 30 fps, and aren't switchable to 25 fps for the European market,
which means you have to endure jerky movement if you try to blend footage
from one of those cameras with footage from a proper 25 fps camcorder, as
every 5th frame of the 30 fps is dropped (Adobe Premiere doesn't do anything
fancy with interpolation!). I wonder if it's true 30 fps or 29.97 fps?