Old March 18th 17, 04:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default TV system conversion

Yes those first moon pictures were only sent at a low frame rate, and the
way we all saw it was a long persistence phosphor tube and a camera pointing
at it. the more recent re mastering of the images was done electronically
from the raw data stored in an Australian ground station. It was on spools
of tape which also contained the data hence the low frame rate. I'm told by
those who have seen them that they are a heck of a lot better.
The later missions of course used dedicated data systems for the colour
pictures.

I remember that we at Racal-Decca had to hastily come up with a way to
record radar displays for the CAA. The first solution knocked up very
quickly was a philips N1702 with bnc video in and out and the same idea of a
camera and it looked at a traditional radar screen.

I'm sure I'm not going to get thrown in clink for revealing this top
secret device..:-)

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
At the time when when I was a baby the only way was to point a camera at a
screen. Results were unimpressive.

By 1964 things had moved on and conversion was electronic. The equipment
had 2,000 transistors and occupied two full height racks.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/sta...number=5266568

I have just bought a gadget that converts TVI and AHD to HDMI, VGA, and
CVBS. It handles 720p and 1080p at all frame rates. All VGA modes are
supported. CVBS is PAL or NTSC, 25 or 30fps.

This device is the size of a paperback book and cost £55. It works
perfectly. I would love to go back in time and show it to the engineers of
1950!

If anyone's interested it's a Scatterbox CNV200.

Bill