Old March 9th 17, 09:35 AM posted to
Default Hybrid electric generators

On 09/03/2017 08:45, Ian Jackson wrote:

Yes - I suppose diesel-electric hybrid generators do make sense, as they
allow a smaller diesel engine to be used for most of the time, with a
trickle-charged battery providing a bit more umph when demand is high.
It's just that it sounded a bit odd when I heard it!

I think it's t'other way round for some at least:

- diesel runs when lots of umph required and charges battery pack at the
same time

- diesel off and battery pack supplies low loads

One benefit is that there's no need to run a loud diesel generator
overnight just for lights, security, security guard's satellite TV[1], etc.

[1] it's the thought that counts