Old March 9th 17, 07:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

Default Hybrid electric generators

In message , Tim+
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
There's just been an item on the 10:30pm BBC 1 local news for London
about using a hybrid generator to supply the electricity for the
operations to demolish a Ford site in Dagenham.

The hybrid generator uses diesel and electricity - so when it's running
on electricity, it's using electricity to generate electricity.

Are we approaching the time when efficiencies of more than 100% can be
obtained?

Unless you can provide a link to the original story I think either you or
the broadcaster has misunderstood/misquoted something.

A quick internet search suggests that hybrid generators have a battery bank
to supply power during times of low power demand when the generator would
normally be working at low efficiency.

Yes - I suppose diesel-electric hybrid generators do make sense, as they
allow a smaller diesel engine to be used for most of the time, with a
trickle-charged battery providing a bit more umph when demand is high.
It's just that it sounded a bit odd when I heard it!
--
Ian