Old March 6th 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default SS:GB Pic wobble?. Episode 3

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 13:15:03 -0000, "NY" wrote:

I'm recording SS-GB and I'll get round to watching it (along with Victoria,
the latest series of Endeavour and the final series of Downton Abbey) at
some point - as long as it doesn't go the way of Wolf Hall and I give up
half-way through (the dramatisation of Wolf Hall was as dire as the novel,
in terms of WTF is going on and who is this character that is speaking now).
(*)

The TV adaptation of Wolf Hall is best regarded as a series of
illustrations for those who have already read the book, and on that
basis I thought it was brilliantly done. I do agree it would probably
be difficult to follow if you hadn't read it though. It wasn't nearly
long enough to cover all the material, so would probably come across
as a series of isolated cameos, rather than a complete story.

(*) Hilary Mantel wins my "gross overuse of pronouns" award for having many
scenes with two (or more) people speaking, and every line of dialogue is
prefixed with variations of "he said" (or even no indication of the speaker)
so you very quickly lose track of who said what. It needs a few
"resynchronising" pointers ("Fred said") so you can update your knowledge of
who's speaking in case you've lost the plot.

That was an affectation she used in the books. The central character
is Cromwell, so whenever she introduces him at the beginning of a
scene she just uses a pronoun. Only when there is a risk of confusion,
for example when Cromwell is first mentioned partway through a scene
when she has already mentioned someone else, she will introduce him as
"he, Cromwell...". It's a bit odd until you get used to it, but I
suppose it's just the style of those particular books. It probably
doesn't translate very well to the screen if you haven't read the
books and expect the TV version to stand alone.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com