Old February 23rd 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default New TV channel for BBC in Scotland

In article , Jim Lesurf
wrote:
In article , Norman Wells
wrote:
"David Kennedy" wrote in
message o.uk...

3. If the Scots want their own news and programs then a) do you care
enough to deny it to them? and b) what are your reasons for doing it?

The UK is in general blanketed with English news; why not let the
rest of the country have a crack? It's not as if they're going to
either force you to watch it if you don't want to or prevent you
from watching it if you do.

But meanwhile, I'll be paying for it through my licence fee.

So what? I pay for radio 5 / sport though my licence fee.

It's not free. It won't even come cheap. The question is whether I
want to pay for it if I'll get no benefit.

Note that until recently, according to a recent statement I heard, the
licence fee income from Scotland was greater than the BBC spend in
Scotland. One argument for the new channel is to bring this into balance.

if Scotland only got programmes made in Scotland, that would make sense.
But, most of the broadcast hours are made centrally and need to be paid for.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England