Old February 22nd 17, 10:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default 4K TVs

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 09:04:15 +0000
Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 23:40:12 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

Many of the TVs in the shops are 4K, but how much 4K TV do the
people who buy them watch?

I have only found a few 4K programmes from the likes of Netflix. Is
there any hope that BBC, ITV or C4 will start broadcasting 4K
channels on satellite or the Internet?

Very little, I would suggest. The bandwidth currently allocated for
broadcasting 1920x1080 is already not quite adequate to do it justice
and is regularly whittled away to provide more bandwidth for other
services, and the potential improvement in changing to 4K (even if it
were done properly, which it probably wouldn't be) is negligible on
anything other than the sort of humungously big screens that not
everybody will want or could afford. So not much chance of it
happening for a long time.

Rod.

Not that I am a sceptic, but the fact that you have a very logical
argument to explain why it won't happen probably means that the powers
that be will make it happen, to the detriment of all other services
that currently use that bandwidth.

It sounds a little like DAB, it could be so much better if it had been
done properly.

You read it here first!

--
Davey.