Old February 18th 17, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default Humax overheating

On 18/02/2017 12:35, Davey wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:56:01 +0000
wrote:

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any controls,
not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and powered it up
again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's
fine for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have
had no indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as I
am assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has been in
exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is new, and it's
not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope? If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is it
really that simple, and are there any other things to look for while
it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

Before doing this, I installed the firmware package for the fan
control, and set it at 24% minimum speed.

Opening it up was simply a matter of, indeed, undoing three screws,
with my convenient Swiss Army Knife. But amazingly, the interior is
absolutely spotless, no dust, no cat fur, nada, as far as I can see.

So I plugged the unit into a convenient power source, and waited for the
fan to run. It did not. Blowing at it makes it rotate a little, and
then return. I will leave it for a while, in case it needs some time
before starting, but maybe I need to install a new fan. Is there a good
known source, and specification? I somehow doubt that Humax will be
interested now. I would like to run it with the external fan until I
have a new fan available, before dismantling it, unless it just
entails undoing four screw and lifting the HDD casing away? Maybe Maplin
do a suitable fan? I looked for youtube videos, but only found lots of
reviews and guides to update HDDs etc.

All help most welcome.

I had a quick look at the Maplin website. This was the only one that
seemed to have 3 wires but I can't say if the connector is correct.
http://tinyurl.com/ztvngbn
It also doesn't say if the speed is variable. If you want to contact
Maplins, they might know.

I haven't got a Fox-T2 to look at, so I did a hunt for parts for one,
and found this: http://tinyurl.com/zpcq4r7

That shows a hard drive cradle with a fan attached. There are no
dimensions, but it did give me a view of the fan model number AUB0512LB.
I am slightly suspicious of the information because although the seller
is advertising it for Humax HDR-Fox T2 his write-up admits it came from
a Humax DTR-D1000 and it says it will probably fit other models.

I am assuming he is correct.

So I hunted for a AUB0512LB and found this one:
http://tinyurl.com/havx87e

Whether you want to take a gamble on it is up to you. I have gone as
far as I can from a theoretical point of view.

Jim