Old February 18th 17, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Humax overheating

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 01:47:44 -0000
Yellow wrote:

In article , lid
says...

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any
controls, not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and
powered it up again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's
fine for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have
had no indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as
I am assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has
been in exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is
new, and it's not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope?

Yep - just some screws, three I think at the back and the cover sides
off.

If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is
it really that simple, and are there any other things to look for
while it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

When I changed the drive in mine I found a youtube video to follow -
worth it because the fan connector is a tricky sucker and you have to
disconnect that to change the drive.

I mention it, just in case you need to change the fan.

Meanwhile, are you sure about the overheating because all these
machines tend to run hot which is why there is a software fan
package. I run mine at 42%, permanently, as it used to go well above
the 55 deg C threshold suggested on the SMART page.

Also, although I have no experience of this on a Humax, computers
tend to be shut down by the firmware when they overheat - not just
left to crash.

But anyway, my room is quite cool at the moment and I am just
watching a recording, the Humax doing nothing else, and it is
currently sitting at 39 deg C.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

--
Davey.